After studies at Bonn and Erlangen led to his eventual doctorate, Justus Liebig (1803–1873) apprenticed with Parisian chemist Gay-Lussac. In 1824 on Alexander von Humboldt’s recommendation, 21-year-old Liebig assumed a professorship for the next 28 years at the University of Giessen. There he founded the world’s premiere school of chemistry, codiscovered chloroform (1831), founded the journal Annalen der Chemie (1832), and assumed his baronetcy as Justus von Liebig (1845). In 1946 in his honor, the University was renamed Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen. (Copyright © the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Inc.)