In New York City during World War II, Dr. Paul Meyer Wood (1894–1963) managed to practice clinical anesthesia from 5 to 11 AM and then spend the balance of his day on the affairs of the American Society of Anesthetists, its journal ANESTHESIOLOGY, its “library-museum,” and the newly formed American Board of Anesthesiology. On December 14, 1945, Dr. Wood was presented with the inaugural Distinguished Service Award (“D.S.A.”, left) of his grateful Society, which he had just helped rename as the “American Society of Anesthesiologists.” Signing Wood’s D.S.A. (close-up, right) were President Ralph M. Waters, President-Elect John S. Lundy, First Vice-President Ralph T. Knight, Secretary McKinnie S. Phelps, and Treasurer Virginia Apgar. (Copyright © the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Inc.)

In New York City during World War II, Dr. Paul Meyer Wood (1894–1963) managed to practice clinical anesthesia from 5 to 11 AM and then spend the balance of his day on the affairs of the American Society of Anesthetists, its journal ANESTHESIOLOGY, its “library-museum,” and the newly formed American Board of Anesthesiology. On December 14, 1945, Dr. Wood was presented with the inaugural Distinguished Service Award (“D.S.A.”, left) of his grateful Society, which he had just helped rename as the “American Society of Anesthesiologists.” Signing Wood’s D.S.A. (close-up, right) were President Ralph M. Waters, President-Elect John S. Lundy, First Vice-President Ralph T. Knight, Secretary McKinnie S. Phelps, and Treasurer Virginia Apgar. (Copyright © the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Inc.)

George S. Bause, M.D., M.P.H., Honorary Curator, ASA’s Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology, Park Ridge, Illinois, and Clinical Associate Professor, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio. UJYC@aol.com.