According to New York City directories, Dr. Frank Alton Shattuck ran his dental office at 297 West Twelfth Street from roughly 1883 through 1887. So, this four-page advertising folder (lower right) was apparently printed sometime in the mid-1880s. Trained under a dental preceptor, Dr. Shattuck advertised his practice as embracing “all branches of the profession.” On the inside of this elegant folder from the Wood Library-Museum’s Ben Z. Swanson Collection, Dr. Shattuck trumpets that his practice includes “as a specialty, the administration of Nitrous Oxide Gas” (upper left). (Copyright © the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology.)

According to New York City directories, Dr. Frank Alton Shattuck ran his dental office at 297 West Twelfth Street from roughly 1883 through 1887. So, this four-page advertising folder (lower right) was apparently printed sometime in the mid-1880s. Trained under a dental preceptor, Dr. Shattuck advertised his practice as embracing “all branches of the profession.” On the inside of this elegant folder from the Wood Library-Museum’s Ben Z. Swanson Collection, Dr. Shattuck trumpets that his practice includes “as a specialty, the administration of Nitrous Oxide Gas” (upper left). (Copyright © the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology.)

George S. Bause, M.D., M.P.H., Honorary Curator and Laureate of the History of Anesthesia, Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology, Schaumburg, Illinois, and Clinical Associate Professor, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio. UJYC@aol.com.